Koprivshtitsa is one of the centers of the Bulgarian education, literature and culture from the National Revival Period. Tremendously beautiful, the town is a member of the 100 National Tourist Sites of Bulgaria. The town of Koprivshtitsa is the best preserved architectural reserve in Bulgaria. The small town with cobble-paved streets and picturesque colorful houses from the 17-18th century is situated among spacious meadows and quite forests with bracing air in the heart of Sredna Gora Mountain, 110 km southeast of Sofia. Koprivshtitsa straggles along either side of the River Topolnitsa and there is hardly a part of town that is not named after an episode or participant in the April Uprising of 1876 in which the town played a crucial role.
Koprivshtitsa is surrounded by nine peaks, all of which are named after saints. It was announced for town-museum in 1952, and in 1972 it was announced for architectural and historical reserve. On April 20, 1876 in Koprivshtica started the largest armed expression of the Bulgarian national revolution – The April Uprising. There are around 400 monuments of the Bulgarian National Revival period in the town. As many other preserved towns from the Bulgarian National Revival period, the town is characterized by many old stone houses with high fences, stone bridges, cobblestone roads. The spirit from the Bulgarian Renaissance Period is everywhere in Koprivshtitsa. There are a lot of churches and museum in the town, most of which were the homes of important historic figures. Some of the greatest Bulgarians are from Koprivshtitsa: Georgi Benkovski, Naiden Gerov, Yoakim Gruev, Dimcho Debelyanov, Todor Kableshkov, Lyuben Karavelov and others. The first class School in Bulgaria started opened doors in 1846 in Koprivshtitsa, the birthplace of many leaders of the education and enlightenment. Nowadays the town is a renowned tourist destination for both Bulgaria and international tourism. Koprivshtitsa also occupies an important place in the Bulgarian folk music calendar with its national music festival of musicians from all over the country taking place every 5 years. Except for the museums it also has two churches, painting gallery and eleven tourist pedestrian paths. The town is a key point for hiking and sightseeing in the highest part of Sredna Gora.